Latest English Language News
- President of Kazakhstan Urges Countrymen to Learn English
- English Speakers Protest Lack of Bilingual Signs in Quebec Shopping Center
- Spanish Language Issues Continue to Plague California Health Insurance Exchanges
- Obama Administration Postpones Spanish Version of Healthcare.Gov
- Honda Car Company Makes English Official Language for Global Meetings
- JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 190
Last Updated on 07 November 2013 Created on Thursday, 24 October 2013 15:57 Peter Lee
The Wall Street Journal
October 24, 2013
As a practicing Catholic and an immigrant myself, I took interest in Cardinal Timothy Dolan's "Immigration and the Welcoming Church" (Houses of Worship, Oct. 18). However, he is misinformed regarding the immigration bill passed by the Senate. Cardinal Dolan says it would "require participants to learn English" to attain citizenship, but this has been federal law for legal immigrants since 1907.
S. 744 contains no requirement for illegal immigrants to learn English in order to get work permits or amnesty. Their work permits can be renewed indefinitely. They only have to show some knowledge of English if they apply for green cards after 10-and-a-half years of residency.
Cardinal Dolan refers to "barriers to immersion," yet the Senate bill works against immigrant assimilation. If the Senate bill becomes law, the reverse of what the cardinal predicts will occur. Demands for foreign-language government services will increase and divide the U.S. into separate linguistic enclaves, moving us further away from e pluribus unum ("from many, one").
Rosalie P. Porter
Read the letters here.
Last Updated on 24 October 2013 Created on Thursday, 29 August 2013 21:12 Peter Lee
|If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from us, please click here.
Follow Us on Twitter
Latest Action Alerts
December 5, 2013
October 8, 2013
August 29, 2013
August 21, 2013